The past few weeks have been a challenge to get through; in many ways I had given up. For no particular reason, yet for every reason, my heart has been heavy, my plate bursting with responsibilities and my mind running away with itself. I’m overwhelmed and exhausted by the constant and rapidly changing scenery called life. Perhaps you can relate?
Fortunately, there has been a domino effect from wrapping-up our first home school year, acquiring a sought after business asset, and concluding our year-long bible programs providing a burst of hope that bled into some reminders.
- Rest. Don’t neglect much-needed spiritual rest. This isn’t to say ditch God but yes, go on a spiritual vacation! The past few years I’ve been leaning in, wanting to get to know God Himself; God beyond the playbook and stats. Having a break from a typical study allows for freedom to discover God in a new way! Resting from rigorous bible study seems counter intuitive, but is highly rewarding. Last summer I drank in Proverbs, slowly allowing the words to steep in my heart. This summer I’m excited to finally have time to delve into God’s names. What will you study at your own pace?
- Take EVERY thought captive. Marketing is all about owning the mind and we live in a world of constant marketing. Everyone/thing is jockeying for our “mental market share”. When we take our thoughts, hold them to the light of God, we can have “peace that transcends understanding”. Do you ever take inventory of your thoughts? My past few weeks have been rough. Looking at where my mind has been, it’s no wonder! Doubt and insecurity have been running amuck like wild horses!
- Reapply. After working out, I cannot stay in the clothes I was wearing. I’m sweaty and I STINK. My kids think it’s hilarious but I doubt you would like to stand behind me in line at the store! We get spiritually sweaty and just as we need to reapply sunscreen to protect our skin to avoid getting burned, we must go back to God’s word and renew ourselves. His unfailing love and compassion for us is new every morning! How often are you reapplying Truth?
- Burry the past. The longer I live, the more I understand without exception e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. has a past that can drag them down. My past has resurfaced and suffocated me again the past few weeks and I have a choice to make. God said, “My grace is sufficient for you.” God used sinful people, people who killed others, slept around and did their version of insider trading; the only way we can render ourselves worthless is to be stuck on the Almighty Self. Will we allow His loving forgiveness to disarm the power of the past, the hurts others did to us and the hurts we imparted on others?
- LET IT GO…”all anger, bitterness, rage….” I won’t be able to bury the past if I don’t forgive….again…again…again…myself and others. Holding onto the nugget of bitterness only escalates destruction.
All these are such simple truths! Today I’ll be focusing on reapplying throughout the day. What resonates with you today?
Heart Check: You will want to give up, there’s no doubt to that. What do you do when you want to give up? Will you share your thoughts?